Skip to content

COVID-19 Response Information: Employment Insurance
Provided by: Government of Canada - Service Canada

View information about this organization

Service Description

Visit the website for information from Employment and Social Development Canada on Employment Insurance related to COVID-19 and Employment Insurance. For general information about the CERB, contact the automated telephone service at 1-833-966-2099. For information about EI, for additional questions about the CERB through Service Canada, or if you have questions about transitioning to EI, contact the EI call centre at 1-800-206-7218.

As of September 27, 2020, there are some temporary changes to the EI program to help you access EI benefits. These changes will be in effect for one year. Visit the EI benefits and leave web page to find the benefit type that applies to your situation. The following changes could apply to you:

  • A minimum unemployment rate of 13.1% applies to all regions across Canada starting August 9, 2020.
  • You only need 120 insured hours to qualify for benefits because you will receive a one-time credit of:
    • 480 insured hours if you are applying for sickness, maternity, parental, or caregiving benefits.
    • 300 insured hours to qualify for benefits if you are applying for regular benefits
    • You will receive at least $500 per week before taxes, or $300 per week before taxes for extended parental benefits, but you could receive more.
    • If you are applying for sickness benefits, you do not need to submit a medical certificate.
    • If you are a fisher, the Government will look at the earnings from your 2018, 2019 and 2020 summer or winter seasons to determine your benefit rate and establish your claim for the same season.
    • If you received the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), the 52-week period to accumulate insured hours will be extended.

If you need financial assistance after your CERB ends:

  • To receive EI benefits:
    • You or your employer(s) must submit a record of employment (ROE) for each job you had in the 52 weeks before the beginning of your CERB. The Government needs your ROEs as soon as possible to determine if you qualify for EI benefits and how much you’ll receive.
    • For more information about your EI claim, including the number of weeks and the weekly amount you will receive, register for My Service Canada Account (MSCA).
  • If you received the CERB through Service Canada:
    • In most cases, you do not need to apply for EI benefits. After you receive your last CERB payment, continue completing reports. The Government will  automatically review your file and your ROE, then start a claim for EI regular benefits if you qualify. If you don’t qualify, you’ll be notified by mail.
    • You will need to apply for EI after yoru CERB ends if: you have a SIN that starts with a 9; you are self-employed; or you declared that you returned to work full-time on your CERB report.
  • If you received the CERB through the Canada Revenue Agency:
    • You need to receive all your CERB payments before applying for EI benefits.
    • You can apply after the end of your last CERB eligibility period.
    • Visit EI benefits and leave to determine which benefit is right for your situation and to apply online.
    • Once the Government has determined that you are eligible to receive EI benefits and have completed your first biweekly report, you will receive your first payment. This should occur within 28 days of applying.
    • If you apply for regular or sickness benefits, you will have to complete reports for as long as you receive benefits to continue getting paid.

Service Website

Coverage Area

Saskatchewan, Canada

Languages Offered

English, French

No Physical Address

211 Saskatchewan strives to make sure information is correct. However, there are often changes to community services, which means inaccuracies may be possible. The information presented by 211 Saskatchewan may be subject to change.

Other ways to find what you’re looking for: